My youngr grandson is gluten intolerant but he loves chocolate cake, so I thought I would try baking a gluten free cake for him.
Verdict was good from everyone!
- 6 oz dairy-free bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- ½ cup virgin coconut oil
- 6 large eggs
- 1/4 cup xylitol*
- ⅓ cup well-stirred, full-fat coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- ½ cup coconut flour
- ⅓ cup natural cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C). Grease a 9-inch square baking pan (or 9-inch round, or 11x7 rectangular pan) with coconut oil.
- In a medium, heavy-bottom saucepan, melt the chocolate with the coconut oil over low heat, stirring until melted and smooth. Transfer to a large bowl and whisk in xylitol, coconut milk, vanilla and lemon juice until blended; let cool for 5 minutes and then whisk in the eggs until blended.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the coconut flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Add to the chocolate mixture, whisking until well-blended and smooth. Transfer batter to prepared pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out mostly clean with a few moist crumbs attached.
Note: Original recipe asked for 1/2 cup maple syrup but as this recipe is for myself on LCHF, I have changed it to xylitol.