Saturday, 8 December 2012

Kuih Sarlat

hmm... so many of my cyber friends have been making kuih sarlat and so have I, just that I do a little cheating with the help of my microwave.

Have been meaning to post this recipe ages ago, but with work and holidays and what else, just did not get down to it. Then I promised some ladies (we were meeting for dinner) that I would make some, so took the opportunity to take some pictures and refresh my memory on how to make it. hehe

This is actually my mum's recipe but being me and being lazy, here is my method - using the microwave!

Ingredients:

Bottom Layer
2 cups glutinous rice
400 ml coconut milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tbsp cooking oil

Custard Layer
3 eggs
4 tbsp rice flour
150 sugar
400 ml coconut milk
1 tbsp plain flour

Method:

1. Soak the glutinous rice overnight.
2. Drain the rain in a colander and put rice in a pyrex bowl or microwavable bowl. Add the rest of the of ingredients for the bottom layer and stir well.
3. Microwave in bursts of 5 mins. After every 5 mins, take out and stir. This should take about 15 mins, depending on your MW power.
4. Whilst rice is cooking, prepare the ingredients for the custard layer. Break the eggs in a bowl and add the dry ingredients. Use a whisk to mix until there are no lumps. Finally, add in the coconut milk. Put aside.
5. Once liquid has evaporated and absorbed by the rice (taste to see that the rice is soft), if not, add a bit more coconut milk. (but I am very sure that the rice should be soft)
6. Add in blue colouring or bunga telang water (optional)
7. Press the rice down firmly (so that it does not break upon cutting)



8. Pour in the custard mixture on top of the rice and microwave again in bursts of 10 mins. After about 15 - 20 mins, it should look like this. The centre is still soft. You can either continue to mw until it is all cooked or what I do is to put the container into a steamer and steam for the next 10 mins. Don't worry if the mixture looks gnarly.



9. After 10 - 15 mins, put a skewer to make sure the custard is cooked. Turn the fire off and remove from pan. Cover with a cloth until it is cool.
10. Upon cooling the custard will smoothen out!



No comments:

Pages