Had left over bangkwang filling after having made and ate popiah last Sunday. Freezed that and then today decided to make soon kuehs to take to work for the next few days.
Ingredients for skin:
1 cup wheat starch
1/2 cup tapioca starch
1 cup boiling water
2 tsp oil
1. Measure the wheat starch and tapioca start and put into bowl. Make a well in the centre of the bowl and pour boiling water. Use a wooden spoon to mix the water and flours.
2. Cover with a cloth and leave for about 10 mins.
3. After 10 mins, add in 2 tsp of oil into the warm dough and start kneading until mixture comes together.
4. Roll out the dough and cut into rounds.
5. Place filling on dough and press together.
6. Oil a plate and place uncooked soon kueh onto it.
7. Heat a steamer and place soon kueh and steam for about 15 mins.