1 packet fresh yellow egg
1 litre beef stock
2-4 small sweet potatoes, peeled, cooked and mashed
3 tbsp vegetable oil
Salt to taste
1 tbsp corn flour with some water to make a slurry
To be ground to a paste (A)
2 tbsp chili paste (more or less to taste)
1 tbsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp tumeric powder
1 inch fresh galangal
10 shallots, thinly sliced and fried golden brown
4 pre-fried tofu (soy bean cakes), cut into small cubes
4 cups bean sprouts, briefly blanched
3-4 hard boiled eggs, cut in wedges
4 fresh green chilies, thinly sliced (optional)
3-4 limau kasturi [kalamansi limes], cut into halves
1. Grind (A) into a paste.
2. Heat saucepan and add vegetable oil. Saute paste till quite toasted, color darkens.
3. Add beef stock, bring to a boil
4. Gradually add the mashed sweet potato to the stock, until a gravy-like consistency is reached
5. Add salt to taste, reduce heat to low, simmer gently 8-10 mins, maintain a thick gravy-like consistency. Add corn flour slurry.
6. In another pot, bring about 6 cups of water to a boil, for blanching bean sprouts and warming up noodles
7. Assemble individual soup bowls. Add blanch noodles and top with blanched bean sprouts.
8 Ladle piping hot gravy over the noodles.
9.Top with a little of each garnishing, and a lime half - to squeeze just before eating.
10. Finally add a dash of dark soy sauce!