New York Cheese cake
Katrina said that I hadn't made Cheese cake in a long time and asked her which it was - said she wasn't sure, so I made this first and if it is not the right one, then will make the Japanese cheese cake at another time.
Got this recipe from Lucy's blog.Aunty Yochana.
New York Sweet Crust:
125 gm. plain flour
50 gm. butter
1/4 tsp. baking powder
50 gm. sugar
1 no. small egg
Ingredients for filling:
600 gm. Cream cheese - room temperature
120 gm. Sugar
30 gm. plain flour
4 nos. medium size eggs
125 gm. sour cream
1 Tbsp. Lemon zest
1 tsp. Vanilla essence
apricot gel: 2 Tbsp. apricot jam + 80 to 100 gm. water + 1/2 tsp. agar agar powder + 1/2 tsp. instant jelly
(1) For crust: cream butter and sugar till creamy. Add in egg a little at a time till evenly mixed. Add in flour and baking powder and mix into a dough. Rest for about 20 mins. Then roll out the dough and lay into a 9" springform tin. Bake at 175C for about 15 mins. then remove from oven and let it cool.
(2) Beat cream cheese with sugar till creamy. Add in lemon zest and vanilla essence.
(3) Add eggs, 1 at a time until finished.
(4) Add in plain flour and then pour in the sour cream and mix.
(5) Pour the cream cheese filling into the baked crust and steam bake for about 1 hour 10 mins. or until center is almost set.
(6) Leave in the oven for about 30 mins (oven switched off) and then remove from oven or you can leave it inside till cooled.
(7) Chill in the fridge and glaze the cheese cake with apricot gel.
(8) Serve chilled.
I tried the crust but next time I think I will use digestive biscuits and butter. And for the topping, I used sour cream.
Katrina came and tried and said "it's nice but not this", so guess I will have to do the Japanese cheesecake another day!