DD's birthday on 23 December. This is the chocolate fudge recipe that I have promised you, Flo!
Chocolate Fudge Cake
4 egg yolks
2 tsp orange flavoured liquer
40g castor sugar
25g cocoa powder
85ml warm corn oil – 10 secs in microwave
135ml warm water
125g cake flour If you cannot find cake flour, for 1 cup plain flour, remove 3 tablespoons of flour and replace it with 3 tablespoons of corn starch.
1/2 baking soda
1/2 baking powder
4 egg whites
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
50g castor sugar
For the mousse
1 orange, juice only or 1 tablespoon Baileys
1 tsp powdered gelatine
175g dark chocolate, chopped
4 Eggs, separated
150ml double cream, lightly whipped
1. Mix ingredients (A) well with a whisk.
2. Stir cocoa powder in warmed oil until dissolved and pour into yolk mixture.
3. Stir (C) into yolk mixture.
4. Sieve ingredient (D) and stir it into yolk mixture.
5. Whip egg whites in a clean mixing bowl until big bubbles are formed. Add in the cream of tartar
and whip until white in colour. Add in sugar and whip until egg whites are stiff.
6. Pour 1/2 white into yolk mixture and blend well.
7. Pour yolk mixture into the remaining egg white mixture and blend well.
8. Pour batter into clean baking pan and bake at 175C for 45 minutes or until cooked.
9. Invert cake and leave to cool. Then cut cooled cake into 3 layers.
8. To make the mousse, pour the orange juice/Baileys into a small bowl and sprinkle the over the gelatine. Put in microwave for about 10 secs till the gelatine granules have dissolved completely. If not, return to microwave for another 10 secs and stir.
9. Break the chocolate into a heatproof bowl put in microwave for 20 secs. Remove and stir to make sure that chocolate is melted through,
10. Stir in the Baileys.
11. Beat the egg yolks into the chocolate mixture, one at a time.
12. Leave the mixture to cool for 5 minutes.
13. Carefully fold in the cream.
14. Whisk the egg whites until they are very stiff, and, using a large metal spoon, fold them quickly and thoroughly into the chocolate mousse.
15. Spread onto the the 2 cut layers and sandwich them. Finally, spread the mousse over the entire cake.