Spinach and Crab Gratin
Today I had planned to make crab and sweet corn croquettes. But by the time I got home, boiled the potatoes, made the roux for the croquette, etc, etc, it was almost 8pm. (I got home at 7.15, btw). So I was thinking by the time I got the roux to cool down, my poor dears will only be having their dinner around 8.45. The roux has to cool down sufficiently for it to gel together to form into croquettes. I boiled the potatoes to make potato salad.
Ok, ok, change of plan. Decided to concoct a gratin dish then. Tada, my Spinach and crab gratin!
2 potatoes (depending on size)
1 can crab meat
1 can sweet corn
150 gm button mushrooms, sliced
1 onion sliced
25 gm butter
2 tbsp plain flour
Grated Parmesan cheese
Spinach - blanched and squeezed dry
1. Skin potatoes, cut into cubes and boil till soft. Remove from heat and drain.
2. Melt butter in frypan, add onions and mushrooms. Fry till onions and mushrooms are soft.
3. Add crabmeat and sweet corn and stir. Add in the flour and fry till well mixed. Add in the chicken cube. Add in milk to make a roux and stir throughly. Stir for about 5 mins. Mixture should be gooey and not too thin. If it is, then add a bit more flour to thicken the mixture.
4. Mash the potatoes and add some butter and milk. Stir to mix. Add seasoning.
5. Spread the spinach on the bottom of a pyrex or heat proof dish. Pour the crab mixture on top of it. Add the mashed potato and lastly add grated parmesan cheese on top.
6. Bake in preheated oven - 200 deg C until top is brown and bubbling.