Terong Belado (Aubergines with chilli)
This is an Indonesian recipe which Pat likes and one day he turned to me and said that I had not made this for some time now and he would like to have it for dinner.
So here is my recipe for Terong Belado.
1 fat purple aubergine(brinjal, eggplant)
1 clove garlic
2 chilles (or more depending on how spicy you want it)
1 big onion - quartered
1 tomato - quartered
a little piece of belachan
salt and 1/2 teaspoon sugar
1. Slice the aubergine half lengthwise, the slightly score into diamond shape on the flesh side. Use a fork to stab into the aubergine to help it cook and soften quicker.
2. Place them on an oiled baking sheet(brush top of aubergines with oil as well) in a preheated oven of about 220 deg C. Leave it to bake for about 1/2 hour or until the aubergines are quite soft.
3. Whilst the aubergines are cooking in the oven, prepare your paste. Dump all the rest of the ingredients into a blender and blend it until fine.
4. Remove from blender and heat a saucepan. When it is hot, add some oil and fry the rempah (spice ingredients)for about 5 mins. Remove from pan and leave aside.
5. Once aubergines are soft, remove from oven and "butter" the spice ingredients onto the aubergines and cook for another 10 mins.